Promenading in Paris: Montmartre

Montmartre is famous for the artists that worked there and noted for its bohemian vibe. It is also where Moulin Rouge is located. I regret terribly not walking down the hill from Sacre-Coeur to Moulin Rouge. I would advise exploring on foot; you will get to see more. However, it rained while we were there and we resorted to taking the easy (read: touristy) way out by hopping onto the white mini train that brings you around Montmartre and ends at Moulin Rouge. I read from another blog that if you’re male and young and relatively fit, riding on the train will (apparently) not get you in good stead with the local ladies.

We did do a little exploring in the immediate vicinity of Sacre-Coeur where we ate overpriced crepes (not worth mentioning). Souvenir shops were aplenty and so were the artists – with their easels on standby and empty stools put out – all ready to sketch/caricature your portrait. There were also lots of paintings on sale: mostly sceneries of the surrounding area and landscapes of Paris. We skipped all that, because I had no interest in being sketched or caricatured. I want to walk and see things, not spend an hour sitting stock-still. Moreover, a painting would not survive in my luggage.

However, what made me marvel about Montmartre, is not the bohemian artistic vibe (which is curiously commercialized) but the lovely houses situated along some of the quieter streets. I experienced a serious dose of house-envy when I was there, turning as green as the green vines that covered the walls.

Without further ado, I present to you some photos taken of our little Montmartre tour (no, you will not see painters and caricaturists here).


There's a museum to the left which we didn't visit.


Ahhhh~ this is something we don't see everyday in Singapore.





This is a street I don't mind walking past everyday!

We got a feisty little treat on the mini train.

Love her hair.

Moulin Rouge! I believe the crowd gathered there are not customers but tourists escaping the rain.




Comments

Popular Posts