Ambling around Amsterdam: A tummy update

It is depressing to be on vacation and have uncooperative weather. In addition, we only spent two days in Amsterdam (and not full two days at that), thus there is little to no sightseeing. However, my grey depressing outlook was chased away by the amount of snacking we did! OMG. Amsterdam is a snacker’s paradise! Did you know that? I didn’t know that!

Hence, let me present a list of snacks that gratified my tummy and brought the sunshine back to my trip. Food never fails. 

Kibbeling

Little nuggets of fishy goodness.


White fish battered and fried to a golden crisp, accompanied with a variety of dipping sauces. It is served piping hot and the fish just flakes into pieces with each bite. Delicious and makes for a tasty warm snack on a rainy day.


Fresh Stroopwafels



Thin waffles with treacle syrup filling. Freshly made, it is soft, warm and chewy. It is quite large so halfway through you might feel that it is overly sweet. I believed it would be best eaten with a cup of coffee or tea. Mm-mmm. There are ready-made ones as well, which you can find in supermarkets and souvenir shops. The ready-made ones are somewhat harder but still chewy (like chewy cookies) and sweet. Still, a delicious alternative if you cannot get the fresh ones.


Maatje

Looks-wise, quite unappealing.


Preserved herring. I do not have very high hopes for this because the herring is raw (although preserved) and I am put off by fishy taste and smells. However, this is mind-blowingly awesome! Not only is it not fishy, it is honestly appetizing, especially with the diced white onion and pickled gherkins. The herring melts in your mouth and you will get a kick from the raw onions and gherkins. Thinking about it makes me drool. It also comes served in bread, like a sandwich.


Poffertjes



Coin-sized pancakes served with icing sugar sprinkled on top. I, personally, am not very impressed by this. It is just small pancakes with icing sugar. Nevertheless, I can see that it makes for convenient light snacking.


Snack-in-a-box (self-given name)


This is a cool concept, but I do wonder how long they keep the snacks (those that were not bought). It utilises a vending machine concept, but instead of dispensing can drinks, you get piping hot snacks. I included this in the post because I have never seen this in SEA (Southeast Asia) before and the snacks (or the one I tried, not sure what it is) is delicious.  


Frikandel


Skinless sausage-shaped deep-fried minced meat. Sausages without the skin. I ate it with diced raw onions, dollops of mayonnaise and curry ketchup. There are other sauces you can choose. Frikandel is a hearty snack and can be quite filling if you are a small eater, but it is definitely satisfying.


Patat




Thick-cut fries served with a variety of sauces. My friend and I went with the speciaal, which means curry ketchup, mayonnaise and diced raw onions. We had ours at Manneken Pis, which is a very popular place for fries. They even have their own ‘special’ sauce – weed (wietsaus) – which they serve as well. If you really like it, you can also buy a bottle. We requested to taste and… let us all agree that it is an acquired taste (horribly bad). However, be assured that the cannabis content is not enough to get you stoned, maybe unless, you glug down the whole bottle.


Banketbakkerij van der Linde ice cream


I included the shop for this ice cream because I believe that there is only one place to get this to-die-for ice cream. It is so palatably creamy that I can eat this every single day. What distinguishes it from other ice cream is that the ice cream is mix with whipped cream. Yes you read that right. The shop only sells one flavour, vanilla, and it is oh-so-delicious. It is sinful of course, due to all that cream, but you simply cannot resist. The ice cream is soft, fluffy and extremely creamy. Ten thumbs up!

That is all. I believed that if I had stayed longer in Amsterdam I would have sampled more snacks. I realised that the Dutch love their sauces and condiments. Most of the snacks are smothered in a variety of sauces and diced raw onions. I have absolutely no complains about that. I share their love for sauces as well, especially when they make sauces that delicious (curry ketchup FTW).

Till then… these are it! And… if it has been on your mind all the time you were reading this post… NO we did not visit any of those infamous ‘coffee shops’ in Amsterdam.

You can find these snacks almost anywhere in the city, but here are some of the places that I got mine.

Comments

Popular Posts