Promenading in Paris: I don't see the Notre Dame!

You would think that the Notre Dame Cathedral is a physically imposing structure, one that matches its far-reaching reputation. However, when I was there, we totally missed the cathedral. Nestled among (not very near to, but still enclosed by) other larger and even more imposing buildings, the cathedral appeared inconspicuous at first glance. I supposed it had something to do with my expectations and lack of research. I held no image or vision of how the cathedral actually looks. In my mind’s eye, I thought it should look something like the La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona. Impressive and awe inducing.

Therefore, when we exited the metro and got onto street level, we looked around at the numerous imposing structures and simply could not spot the cathedral. Again, it had something to do with the conventional impression that a cathedral should have rising spires and gargantuan stained glass windows. That was what I was looking out for anyway. I am not sure what my travelling buddy is looking for, but I am definitely looking for CONSPICUOUS. When I do not see CONSPICUOUS, I wondered if we got off at the wrong station. Therefore, we trooped back down to the station and headed towards a makeshift table where three officious-looking people sat. I believed it to be the visitor’s ‘helpdesk’.

When I asked them (nicely, I might add) if this was the right station for Notre Dame, they nodded without saying a word, a bemused look on their faces. This was proceeding very solemnly so far. I plodded on and asked them for directions to the cathedral. The woman’s eyebrows shot up, and she looked at the rotund man beside her, who looked incredulously at us. The other man on the other side of the woman simply ignored us. The rotund man waved his hands around lazily as he provided directions (condescendingly), which was: “Go up, look to the right. It is a big building, very big, you cannot miss it.” His tone was only marginally polite. I was offended, not by his less-than-polite tones, but by the look of incredulity he gave to us. It seemed incomprehensible to him how we could miss such a big building. Still, I kept my cool and thanked them for their help.

We walked on in the general direction he gave us (“to the right” followed by lazy hand wave) and finally we arrived at this building with an ordinary façade which we knew to be Notre Dame. Why? Because it is crowded with people! Fellow tourists! WE HAVE ARRIVED!

Fellow tourists! Believe me when I say that there were more tourists than what this picture depicts.
Entry is free to the Notre Dame Cathedral and you are allowed to take pictures inside. There are lots of alcoves dedicated to the various saints, lots of statues, some tombs, and multiple stained glass windows. There is also a small exhibition of how the structure of the cathedral came to be and a treasury of holy objects (ticketed). The treasury is worth seeing (all that bling) and the ticket is inexpensive.

Overall, besides my unpleasant brush with Parisian ‘hospitality’, I did enjoy my visit to Notre Dame. There is something about the Notre Dame that makes it worth your time. I can't pinpoint what, but something.

Below are the pictures of my visit for your viewing pleasure. 

Do you see the Notre Dame? 


This is it!














Start: The treasury series.







End: The treasury series. I didn't photograph everything so visit to see more!




A model of the cathedral.













Comments

Popular Posts