Thoughts on… freedom of speech

What is this world that we live in now? A world deeply embroiled in turmoil, in endless suffering, and in much pain. All of us exist, now, in a state of confusion, of incontrollable panic and in constant paranoia. I suspect that we caused it ourselves. All these are probably our making.

Let us consider the right to freedom of speech:

Yes, I wholly agree that there should be freedom of speech, or my blog and its posts will not be allowed. No, my posts are not one bit radical, but it is with the freedom of speech that I am able to provide my own views and opinions on a public space. Many a times, I do find myself holding back on certain opinions and censoring myself. I will not elaborate on these opinions, because there is a reason why I am not posting them. The reason is simply this, consideration and respect towards others. Plain and simple.

Yes, we must have right to freedom of speech. Yes, we must be able to say what we want to say without fearing public censure, because our thoughts and opinions matter. However, with this right to freedom of speech, comes responsibility. Freedom of speech does not give you the right to attack or to insult willy-nilly. Yes, the word freedom does provide some sense of (illusory) permission, but you must exercise your sensitivity as well. Take into account the people who will read what you publish. Take into account the feelings of others. Your right to the freedom of speech does not mean that you should abuse it.

Yes, freedom of speech is important in progress. However, remember that derogatory remarks, articles and illustrations that offend hinder progress. It is a step backward. Everyone has their own beliefs, views and principles that may differ from yours and that should be respected. There is no need to force everyone to accept or agree to your views/beliefs just because. We can all live with a little bit of diversity and difference.  A little bit of understanding is appreciated, and although you might not necessarily agree, always debate tactfully and diplomatically. No need to insult and offend.

It is true that the pen is mightier than the sword. Be careful how you wield it, especially in this day and age where your words reach far and wide.


On a related note, I do sincerely apologize if my any of my posts have offended anyone. I meant no ill will.

Comments

Popular Posts