ONE RHYTHM WITH LOVE (on 28 June 2012)

Reviewed on: 3 Oct 2012


If there is one word to describe Jason Mraz, it would be ______. I am truly sorry, but no matter how I rack my brains, it is near impossible to describe this man with just one stingy adjective. He is enigmatic, talented, peace-loving, hippy-looking and above all, very on time (surprise surprise). Of all the concerts I’ve attended (too little for my liking), none started on the dot. I supposed Mraz started his concert on the dot, but I can’t be too sure because I wasn’t there on the dot! I arrived fifteen minutes late and I can already hear three things: music, his voice and loud manic screaming. He must have begun on time. @#$%^! The irony is that I am almost always early for the other concerts that started late. Fifteen minutes! I could honestly tell you that my heart dropped when he is singing and I am standing outside the concert grounds, shuffling slowly along to get in. Missing the mere fifteen minutes meant the world to me, and probably a little less tension.

Mraz gives you the sense that he is easy-going and funny. It feels as if we are all friends attending a gathering where he just happened to be strumming a guitar and singing while his friends (us) happened to be shouting along to the lyrics. And what a big group of friends he has. The concert attendance is a good enough proof that everyone loves him. It is a strong and adoring crowd, everyone lapped up every song, every word, every guitar riff and all the banters and teasing in between. It also seems that everyone knows all his songs and it is one big karaoke session. Oh! Here it comes, out of nowhere, the word to describe Mraz… LOVE (why of course!). His whole concert is about love. That’s all he speaks of. That’s all he sings about. Love for the world, the plants, the animals, humanity and each other. Mraz is a walking promoter for love. It is all about peace and love with him, and on hindsight, what better place to hold his concert than the lush and natural (but badly lit) surroundings of Gardens by the Bay. It is nature, technology and music in harmony that night.


Mraz is also enigmatic. For the most part, I could not tell what he is thinking or feeling when he is crooning his songs or strumming the guitar. The expertly written lyrics offered little glimpses of him, but still leaves you clueless as to who he really is. He seems good and angelic yet he oozes the devilish hippy chic charm that is oh-so-naughty. It is probably his enigmatic quality that I am attracted to, the mysterious talented musician.

Despite the balmy but occasionally breezy night, I thoroughly enjoyed myself. There is something magical about his music that lifts you and keeps you in the heavens. Watching him caress his guitars and ukulele was amazing. Hearing his smooth delivery is delightful. The whole concert has a laid-back vibe despite the perspiring crowd. Most importantly, his repertoire of songs comes from his first album to the latest offerings. It is a mix of nostalgic old songs with the now radio-friendly hits like “Butterfly” from his previous album and “The World as I See It” from his latest album Love is a Four Letter Word. And of course, he kept his popular song “I Won’t Give Up” for the encore session. And I can’t help but tear a little at the closing of his concert. Please come back Jason, I promise to be early next time round! 

Comments

Popular Posts