Kenshin Rurouni

Writer's note: I did this review a while back but have not posted it. Seeing that it is the last day of 2012, I specially dedicate this review to 2012. You may think it is weird dedicating a movie review to the LAST day of 2012, but really, this movie is probably the best (personal opinion here) I have watched this year. This movie not only brings me back to the young carefree yesteryears of my youth, but instilled in me a significant amount of nostalgia. But as always, I and all of us I should say, should always look forward to the future, the past notwithstanding.

I plucked this quote from the good old web that knows what I mean (no, I do not know who is the person who provided this piece of wisdom):-

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
- Soren Kierkegaard
(Source: http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/past

*****

Directed by Keishi Ohtomo
Reviewed on: 11 December 2012


(Photo credithttp://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=64365)


I was a fan.

I was a fan when I saw the anime series in my teenage days (about 10-15 years ago). Therefore, when a live-action movie was announced for Rorouni Kenshin, I could not be more excited. Part of me expected it to fail because adaptions are tricky; it is a hit-or-miss kind of thing. But most of me badly want this movie to succeed, because really, I would rather one of my favourite childhood anime to succeed than fail. I do not want my enjoyable childhood experience to be destroyed by a shoddy adaptation.

But I am put at peace. The adaptation exceeded my expectations. It is flawless and did the anime (and fans all over) justice. I have to admit first that I was not a very big fan; I did not even watch the whole anime. I just watched it when it airs on television, missing some episodes here and there. Therefore I am not as knowledgeable as a fan girl/boy should be.

As I was saying, the movie is beyond awesome. Even if I have never watched the anime and is watching the movie for the very first time, it would have been equally enjoyable and equally awesome. The story starts, I believe, at the very beginning, when Kenshin left his samurai past and fearsome moniker ‘Battousai’ to pursue a life of peace and normalcy as a wanderer, a ‘rurouni’. He pledged never to kill again and carries a reverse-blade sword as his only weapon. Then he came upon a town and met Kaoru, the daughter of a fencer who inherited his fencing dojo. I shall stop here before I reveal everything. But anyone will know that Kaoru and Kenshin, Kenshin and Kaoru, are meant for each other and will eventually be together. What else? Why include a girl in the plot? That is the purpose of the female character right? To act as the damsel in distress whom he will save and who at the same time also saves him from his past by accepting him (past and all) and giving him a brighter future.

The action scenes in this movie are amazing. All done with minimal CGI as far as my untrained eye can see. The only CGI I picked up are the unrealistically dramatic sprays and splatters of blood.  The fighting and speed at which Kenshin moves also leaves me breathless, which is humanly impossible so it must be some form of special effect. But it looks very convincing I assure you. The stunts looked realistic, the backflips, the wall scaling, the sword fights, all wonderfully convincing and utterly breathtaking. No unnecessary slow-motion shots ala The Matrix (thank goodness!). But I do have one gripe about the sword fights. I know samurais are supposed to be really fast, too fast for the eye to catch every single movement. But it will be a bonus (and fans will appreciate it) if they would slow the action at least once or twice to emphasize the flick of the wrist, the reversing of the reverse-blade and the nuances of the sword fight. These are shown in the anime and fans will come to expect it from the movie.

The main lead is also just right. I had my doubts at the beginning for the actor chosen to play Kenshin. He looked too polished (his face is too smooth and blemish-free) and he lacked a certain macho-ness. But my doubts are unfounded. From the first moment he appeared (fighting no less) till the last close-up, he had unceremoniously smashed all my doubts to the ground. Not only was he super macho, he combined with a kind of new-age sensitivity which makes him very believable as the anime Kenshin; funny, macho, strong and adorable all at once. Well played Takeru Sato.  He seemed made for the role and he may have a new found fan in me. As for the other characters casted, I am alright one way or the other as they do fit in well with their roles.

The movie is a must-watch for fans and non-fans alike. It is exciting, the storyline is interesting (read: not run-of-the-mill action movie plot), the actors/actresses are remarkable and everything just works. After the film ended I was sated knowing that the movie did not disappoint and did better than expected. The filmmakers were right in making this a live-action movie instead of retaining its anime form. This is because fans who watched the anime years ago have grown much older now and would definitely appreciate a more complex film with emotionally deeper characters and a darker feel to it. I felt strangely happy when the film ended, as if I was once again reliving my teenage days.

I am a renewed fan. 

Comments

Popular Posts