Take a Break

Frozen cinnamon bun from IKEA (just pop into the toaster oven to heat) and Royal Milk Tea (packet - just add hot water!).

Sometimes we need a break. A break from work, a break from routine, a break from cleaning and cooking, a break from everything! 

Since living alone, I have been cooking my own meals most of the time - both lunch and dinner. However, as I only eat for one (i.e. me), and the ingredient portions sold in supermarkets in Singapore are huge, my cooked meals last for two to three meals. 

For example, the lunch I cook today I will eat for dinner tomorrow or lunch the day after. Then the dinner cooked today will be the lunch tomorrow or dinner the day after. Suffice to say that I cook for at least two meals and there is always leftover/frozen food in my fridge. So actually I cook less than the average homemaker. And since I cook only for one, it's really a lot less cooking and washing. 

But still, I get tired from cooking and cleaning. That is why I like to invest in housekeeping equipment and helps me tidy the house easily and without much effort. I am also not above buying frozen ready-to-consume food. I don't have a microwave oven (for personal reasons) so I just pop them in a steamer and it's ready to go! No effort is needed. Cleaning after is kept to a minimum. Those are the days where I can enjoy my Netflix most. Or read a book leisurely without the post-meal clean up looming around me. 

Now my fridge is bursting from frozen food. Dimsums, IKEA meatballs, sausages, etc. Admittedly processed food is unhealthy, but I only eat these one day per week. I have my cooked food and leftovers to tide me for the rest of the days. If I am doubly lazy (or have run out of ideas), I will order in. It's very convenient but not very economical for a single person, so it's something I do once in a while if I want to indulge. 

What I am trying to say is that it is ok to take a break once in a while. Self-care helps us to run further and run longer. Even cars need to go for servicing every few years, so why not us? Especially now in the pandemic. 

Take care 💕

Comments

Popular Posts