Thoughts on… introversion

Currently there has been a spotlight shining on introversion and by extension, famous introverted people. Countless ‘listicles’, articles, open letters and infographics have been circulating online regarding introversion, the power of introverts, celebrities who are introverts, world leaders who are introverts and many such things.

I would credit this sudden interest to Susan Cain, who published Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking in 2012, a book that brought introversion into the spotlight. Ever since that book came out, everyone jumped on the bandwagon that is introversion.

I have gladly jumped onto that bandwagon as well. I was finally glad that someone has spoken up for introverts and made it clear what introversion really is. I learnt a lot about myself and my introverted nature. It really isn’t just about being quiet and reserved and anti-social. It is way more complex.  On the flipside, I have also been learning a lot about extroversion too, and the differences between the two, and that an ambivert is someone in between.

Introverts have been around for a really long time. Yes, although we relish being in the background most of the time and almost always goes unnoticed, it is high time somebody talked about the issues surrounding the quiet ones.

Firstly, and most importantly, the notion that being quiet is a social or personality disorder or that all introverts are shy is dispelled. Fuck those who think that quiet/shy people are weird and are potential serial killers (that escalated). At the same time, the popular view that being loud and outspoken is a valuable trait needed to succeed in life is dismissed. Do not get misled by bravado and loudness. It may be as empty as the vessel that produces it.  

I have always been a reserved person and generally unwilling to speak in large groups – quiet – because I do not like everyone’s attention on me. It may be my personality that forces me to settle into the role of the ‘listener’, but I really do enjoy hearing what others have to say (except when I know it is bullshit). I generally have no opinions to share, unless it is something that I feel strongly about. I do not feel the need to be heard constantly. However, at times I do keenly feel the expectation from others to talk and contribute to the conversation. That makes me extremely comfortable.  

If I had my way, I am at peace not speaking to everyone in a party or group outing. Again, I do not think there is a need to make friends with everyone. Yup, I know I sound like a prick, but so be it. I am not using introversion to justify some of my quirks and anti-social habits, but I do know that I am an amicable person. I do not piss people off or say mean things to them or ignore them (not purposely anyway). I am generally polite and will respond in kind if you do talk to me and get to know me.  If I am quiet and not making conversation it is because I am paying attention.

However, I do recognize that this has moulded me into a lazy conversationalist, if there ever was such an affliction. Sometimes I remain quiet simply out of laziness.

With all the articles about introversion going around (I hoped you would have read some), you would know that introverts do not function well when there are too much going on in his/her environment. I like parties and concerts as much as the next person, I really do enjoy them, but I have to do it my way, which is apparently not a way that most people would understand (or accept). My solution is to keep quiet and just soak it all in.

When my group of close friends first got to know me, I believed my quietness unnerved them. It does not help that I have RBF (resting bitch face) syndrome (something my family has confirmed). My friends will ask me if I am OK or if I am unhappy with something. Eventually, they know that this is how I am and how my face is and they let me be. I am thankful I have such understanding friends who refused to be driven away despite my cold unfriendly exterior.

Although I am glad that the mystery of introversion has lifted, I do feel that the sudden influx of all things introversion-related is getting a little wearisome. It is too much and too swift. It seems to be turning into a fad. That scares me, because (1) introversion is not something that comes and goes, it is inherent in many people, and (2) most importantly, I am afraid that introverts will be stereotyped.

Introversion is not a fad. It is a personality, a trait, which many people have. However, do not pigeonhole introverts because we are not all the same. Just like extroverts vary and are individually different, so are introverts.

At the same time though, I do not deny that the information flooding social media and various websites have been useful in enlightening me. I am starting to be comfortable in my own skin. There is still some way to go before total self-acceptance, before I am completely content with myself, but it is a start.

For more information:
Susan Cain’s TED Talk
8 Quality Traits All Introverts Have, Even if They Don’t Know It (an example of a stereotypical title/article)
10 Reasons Why Introverts are Incredibly Attractive People (another stereotypical article – not everyone will agree)

Comments

Popular Posts