Thoughts on... old versus new

I like the idea of having old things remain. Ok… certain old things. What I mean is that I want these old things to last forever and never to die out.

Like old buildings. I like the idea of returning to the same spot and seeing the same old building in all its antiquated glory (obviously still occupied, not abandoned). It gives me a sense of security, comfort and nostalgia. That the world has not moved too fast for these old glories. That the world has not left them behind (abandonment!) in favour of the new. That the world hasn’t changed too much too fast. That we still cherish the old. That they are still utilised and loved. Can you imagine travelling to Europe and not having the opportunity to admire all these beautiful historical buildings? Can you imagine all these old glories replaced with million-dollar characterless flashy gleaming skyscrapers? How boring and bland the world would be?

Like old movies. Do you have an old movie (black and white, movies from the 60s, 70s, etc.) that you like? I don’t. Not that I can remember. But once in a while, I do enjoy watching old movies. I remember watching Funny Girl with Barbra Streisand on a flight and I really enjoyed it. I also remember purchasing the Breakfast at Tiffany’s bonus DVD set from HMV eons ago (when bonus set DVDs are de rigueur) because I liked the movie. Old movies will never die out. Watching them is like immersing yourself in a slice of history. Not accurate history, but fantasy history. How women are glamorised and how they are always shot in soft-focus (this does not mean that I support portraying women in this manner, but we do enjoy glamour once in a while). How men are dapper or dandy and always heroic. What you want with old films is to escape from real life. New films are sometimes too real. They reflect and magnify the ugliness of mankind. They highlight all our flaws and weaknesses. Sometimes all we want is to return to the glossily glamorous old days.

Like old books. Ah… this one is a little special. I love old books. Or the idea of having old books. Books that are yellowed with pages falling apart from multiple use and age. I have very little old books. Simply because I couldn’t afford the space to keep them. When it comes to spring cleaning, I weed out the books I’ll probably read again to the never ever read again and the latter pile will be donated to the Salvation Army. That is to say that the turnover rate of my books is quite high. But I did keep two gems that are old and tattered. Red Sky in the Morning by Elizabeth Laird and Lord of the Flies by William Golding. Both served as my literature text in secondary school and are heavily used (marginalia, highlighted sentences, childish doodles, etc.). I kept them because they hold a special place in me. In a way, these two books got me interested in literature. They are my entryway to the wide and wonderful world of fiction.

Like old food stalls. Ah, now this is something that especially applies to me and (I’m sure) for everyone else.  Who doesn’t want their favourite stalls to remain at the same locations with the same black-faced (I always believed that black-faced owners cook way better and by black-faced I mean fierce/rude/grumpy) owners dishing out the same awesome foods forever? Whenever our favourite stalls close, it has a psychological impact on us. We get withdrawn from the withdrawals due to the withdrawing of our favourite stalls. We complain and moan their disappearance on social media. We have to let the whole world know about this misfortune and how the ‘system’ is ‘closing down’ all these great stalls. I’m guilty of that. Like that time the famous River Valley Nasi Padang shop (opposite Great World Shopping Centre) had to close. I was devastated! Where am I going to get my nasi padang fix now?  I visited the place one last time for one last meal before it closes for good, and bemoaned my plight on social media. I think I might continue that sad streak and do a post on how awesome the nasi padang was (although you won’t be able to try it anymore). Come and let us put our heads together to mourn our loss of awesome old food stalls.

Like old television series. Anybody watched Friends? I’m sure millions have. I’m haven’t watch the series, but because it is such a wonderful show, that it is minted as a classic, a timeless piece of sitcom that reruns are still running on certain channels. And it has already been 10 years since the last episode screened on May 6, 2004. People who grew up watching it or who watched it while it was broadcasting never get tired of it. It is a show that will continue being in people’s minds: talked about in nostalgic voices, laughed about when reminiscing, remembered when reflecting. It is LOVED. That is the power of a really good television series. It brings back memories, the good times shared between the actors/actresses and the audiences, the good times between people who watched the show together. The good old television series will never fade. Yes, I’ve been planning to watch the whole Friends series, but, procrastination always wins. (Wanted to get started on Games of Throne as well, but I can’t decide to read it first or watch first).

Like old friends. This is the ultimate best. Of course there is nothing wrong with making new friends. But nothing beats old friends; friends you’ve known forever, weathered countless storms together, guffawed over the silliest things together, friends who finishes your sentences for you and vice versa. Really, the experiences you share together are infinite and can only increase. It is also safe to say that you will grow old with your friends as well (not only your spouse). Therefore, old friends, like old wine, are the best. Again, that isn’t to say that the new friends you make can’t age into old friends, but again (again!), nothing beats your ancient old chums. Your new-turned-old friends will never be on the same level. Never let go of your old friends.  

I strongly believe that we should cherish the old. There are just some traditions that we cannot throw out. Preserving them and keeping them alive may help us to progress. In progress, in advancement, we have to look to the past, to the old, to traditions. And then from there, to make improvements.

There is nothing wrong with the new either. I’m not against new things. The new gives us hope for the future, something to look forward to. There must always be progress, just not progress at the expense of the old. The old and the new could and will survive together. Remember those beautiful playgrounds of the 80s (or maybe even beyond the 80s, but I’m a 80s baby)? The iconic mammoth-looking tiled dragon? Wouldn’t it be nice to return to the playground as an adult and seeing new occupants having the time of their lives among the structures, just like you once did? Or even, after you’ve gotten married and seeing your kids enjoying themselves there, just like you once did. If the playground is still standing when you’re a grandparent, you can bring your grandchildren there to share in the enjoyment you once had. The playground would have served its purpose and more. It would have created shared memories for generations of people!

I guess, in the end, all I wanted to say is that we cherish the old as we anticipate the new. Old doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s bad, and new doesn’t mean that it’s good.

Comments

Popular Posts