Zoned out observations #1

I was on my morning commute to work. A little girl a few seats in front of me started pestering her mother. No more than 5 years old (an educated guess because she's clad in a kindergarten uniform), she was touching her neatly tied hair and crying out, "Only one!". Her bespectacled mother, who was carrying her baby sibling in a carrier, raised her left hand to touch her agitated daughter's hair. While moving from one ponytail to the other, the mother gently counted, "One, two. One, two. There's two." The girl, now clearly upset, retorted loudly and insisted there's only one ponytail. Even after her mother guided her tiny hand to both ponytails, the girl still counted one and refused to listen. She then, in a fit of protest, proceeded to undo one ponytail and demanded her mother to "tie again!"

I was amused at how the girl could not 'see' both ponytails, and yet bemused at her concerns over the number of ponytails. I also felt sorry for her mother, who now have to manage the baby, appease her agitated daughter and re-tie her hair.  

Lesson: Sometimes we refuse to see the good that God is doing in our lives. Even after gently guiding us to what is good, we refuse to accept it and continue wallowing in anger, resentment and self-pity.  

Lord open my eyes to what is good and to focus on it. What I do not have now I do not need. What I consider is good may not be good for me. You know what is good for me. Thank you. 

Comments

Popular Posts