The Singapore Series: Leather crafting @ Atelier Lodge

This is an overdue post. I participated in this leather-crafting workshop by Atelier Lodge in September 2014. Nevertheless, I just checked online and they are still alive and running, so let us get right into it shall we?

Leather crafting is getting popular these days. I know at least three colleagues who are doing it as a hobby (and probably making some $ out of their handcrafted products – pure speculation on my part). Anyhow, the whole leather-crafting craze (and the resulting good-looking products) piqued my interest. I want to get in on the action too! I love leather and the idea of making my own leather accessories.

However, instead of diving right into the craze, I decided to first get a taste of it – by enrolling into a beginner’s workshop. There are many places offering leather-crafting workshops, but I chose Atelier Lodge. Don’t ask me why. Probably cause the finished products on their website look awesome. I am swayed by appearance, a shortcoming of mine. Therefore, I rounded up two more friends and we signed up for the Leather Hand Pouch workshop; a 3-hour workshop that cost S$150.

Safety first!

The instructor, owner of Atelier Lodge, is an affable-looking gentleman who demonstrated a certain fondness for getting inspiration from luxury brands. I cannot recall his name, but you can tell that he knows his stuff. Throw him any question and he will be able to answer. He started off with safety (important important important), the most (did-I-mention?) important aspect of leather crafting. That is because you will be handling sharp tools that are dangerous when misused. So safety first!



Then he explained the functions of each tool with demonstrations to go along. It is an informal class, so you can ask your burning questions as and when. After advising on safety and the tools, the hands-on began. He guided us step-by-step, going from one student to the next to provide tips and to correct mistakes. I actually like this casual learning style. It takes the pressure off and allows you to go at your own pace. I was progressing noticeably slower than the rest, and it doesn’t matter at all.

The workshop space is quite small. Cosy is how I would describe it. It occupies the second floor of a shop house along Bali Lane and is shared with another leather goods company, Obbi Good Label. So places for each workshop is limited, which is good because smaller groups means getting more one-to-one time with the instructor.

Leather hand pouch.

Overall I am very satisfied with the workshop and the final product (a very good-looking leather hand pouch). I even recommended a few of my colleagues to join the workshop.

Did it get me started on the leather-crafting craze? Not really (or maybe just not yet), but I wouldn’t mind joining another workshop to learn more!




Comments

Popular Posts