Singapore Jazz Festival 2015 – Day 2 roundup (7 Mar)



My friend and I decided to only attend the second day (out of three) of the Singapore Jazz Festival. We decided upon Saturday because that is the day with the most acts that we arefamiliar with, or at least have heard of before. Yes, I admit that Jessie J is a big draw as well.

We skipped two acts, DJ Maurice Simon and Indra Lesmana. Hence, I present to you the roundup of Day 2 of Singjazz 2015!


CHARLIE LIM (SINGAPORE)

Did I mention that the guitar player on Charlie's left is very hansem?



I thought I was listening to a John Mayer track. I love John Mayer, and I wish someone would just bring him over for a concert! It’s time!

Charlie Lim has a singing style like John Mayer, a smooth drawl that rises to the occasional falsettos. His enunciation is thick and sometimes difficult to catch when listening live, but you still get the feels through his emoting. I especially love the dramatic bridge in “Bitter”. His songs ranged from the dramatic, slow and soulful, to the light-hearted and upbeat. I like the slightly funkier sounds of “Pedestal”, which is somewhat reminiscent of Jamiroquai’s style. That being said, Charlie Lim has his own style, just that describing it requires me to compare it to a few established artistes so that you get a clearer picture.

I also liked that he and his band were dressed so simply, almost to the point of being, normal. It was not a bad thing. It was unpretentious. Outfitted in jeans and black tees kept the focus on the music, not on them. Their appeal lies in the music, not them. Although they do emit some sort of eclectic hipster-ish vibe, it is to their benefit, befitting of their indie status (do correct me if they are not indie). Despite that, they still feel very down-to-earth and very relatable, strongly reflecting their ‘homegrown’ identity. This is one local act that I will be supporting in years to come!


SNARKY PUPPY (USA)

The captivating N'Dambi.

Magda Giannikou on the mic with her accordion.

I first heard of Snarky Puppy last year, when they came for a concert. Curious at their popularity, and mostly egged on by that name (Snarky PUPPY!), I sought them out on Spotify. The first song from their Spotify playlist caught my attention immediately. It remains my favourite song to date. That song is “Shofukan” and it is a bloody bit of luck that they did not perform that song on Saturday. Cue disappointed face and crying face.

However, what they did was to invite four Snarky Puppy collaborators from their album Family Dinner, Shayna Steele, N’Dambi, Magda Giannikou and Malika Tirolien. They were amazing! It was a good thing Snarky Puppy decided to bring in these four wonderfully talented ladies, else I would never have heard of them.

It is hard to describe how talented they were, each and every one of them. They were musicians in their own right and when combined, resulted in a harmonious melodious explosion of musical genius!

It was a rocking, uplifting, fun and funky hour with Snarky Puppy. I look forward to attending their concert proper (if they are returning to Singapore that is!).


NATURALLY 7 (USA)





Our jaws dropped. We were excited for their set. When my friend and I strolled into festival grounds at 4pm to see Charlie Lim, we were instead greeted by seven men standing on stage doing their rehearsals and microphone tests. We were mesmerized, especially when they sang a small part of “Feel it – in the Air Tonight”.  

Finally their session arrived. They appeared and launched into a song. I cannot remember which song, but the cheers and applause were earth shattering. There were no instruments in sight; every single instrument-like sound was created with their mouths. The only external help that they relied on was a loop pedal, which records a beat created by them and loops it throughout the song. With just their mouths, they can make a multitude of sound effects and mimic various instruments. They can even make the deejaying sounds of spinning records and electronic beats.

Their repertoire ranged from popular oldies (Sting’s “Englishman in New York”) to modern pop songs (Coldplay’s “The Scientist”) and they were SO DAMN good! Despite the warm weather, they were bounding up and down the stage, perspiring like crazy, while the audience grooved to their vocal talents. They were impressive! However, I am most impressed (or should I say terribly smitten) by the ‘bass player’, the one who mimics playing a bass. His deep voice is too too sexy.  Apparently all the other girls thought so as well, screaming like the crazies that we were when he spoke.


JESSIE J (UK)


It's hot in here.




Sometimes she poses for the cameras and sings into audiences' mobiles.

The group of youngsters that sang "Masterpiece".

Yup, she took off that tee at the end of her set.



What a powerhouse! Jessie J brought the house down with her set. Performing songs from her debut album (“Do it Like A Dude”, “Price Tag”) to the latest (“Bang Bang”, “Burning Up”), Jessie J showcased her powerful vocals and got down with the music. I supposed I do not have to expound much on her, and I have only this to say, “Girl can perform LIVE”.

The highlight of her set was when she invited a group of young teenagers onstage to perform her song “Masterpiece” a capella-style. It was quite a heart-warming moment. Feels. 

Comments

Popular Posts