Thoughts on... HELLO KITTY


The recent announcement that Hello Kitty is not a cat but a British girl has prompted an avalanche of comments, Tweets, Facebook and blogs postings, and articles in magazines, newspapers and online websites. Everyone expressed their utter disbelief that the world’s most popular and well-liked feline is actually a mere symbolisation of a completely ordinary school-going human being! I am enjoying (very very much) the writings that have been devoted to this subject and I’m dipping my hand into this kitty cesspool as well.

I never fancied Hello Kitty at all but the news still came to me like a slap on the face (as I’m sure it did to many fans). How did I miss this conspiracy theory?! OMG. It was staring at my face the whole time!

That oval head – tres human!
That yellow button nose – so humanly cute!
That six strands of facial hair – how symmetrically exact! Studies have shown that beauty comes from symmetry of the human face.
That flower/bow/accessory on her head – so befitting of her youthful girlishness!
That pinafore – the emblem of a school-going kiddo!

Honestly, the one thing I find rather odd about this girl is her limbs, which are blunt and resemble popsicles. However, I could be mistaken. She could be wearing white gloves and thigh-high boots. It might be the latest fad where she comes from.

This meant that I’ve been viewing things wrongly! My perspective is faulty!

I would like to think that after this saga I’ve begun to see things for what they really are now.

My thoughts, naturally, turned to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (TMNT). So TMNT aren’t really turtles although it is very clearly stated that they are in their moniker. But a moniker is a moniker. They are actually four teenagers who, like any other (normal) adventurous martial-learning teens, seek their kick down at the sewers. I mean, I’m sure there are kids who like to hang out in cities and mingle with the upper crust but there are those that prefer the grittier seedier side town, like the underground.

They are an underground rock band, which gives rise to the band name TMNT. Underground rock bands love alternative names, something not of the mainstream, to set them apart from the millions of other rock bands. One disadvantage of being a rock band is that you get complaints from your neighbours for practicing your gut-ripping soul-churning guitar riffs in your garage. Hence, they have to go underground to practice. This goes hand in hand with their love of the alternative, seeing themselves as fancy inhabitants of the dark and smelly underground.

Also, which turtle would be named after famous artists? No animals or reptiles have the intellect to appreciate art, much less know the creators of art. Therefore, TMNT really are just four average teenagers with cool alternative names who, when not practicing martial arts, hang out underground doing their own “thang”. Look out for their debut single coming out soon.  

Also, I think Splinter, is not a rat. Yes, he may resemble one with his longish pointy nose, but I’ve personally have acquaintances who have rat qualities in their features (I can immediately recall two). Yes, there is a problem with the existence of his tail, but… it’s probably a rocker quirk. You know how Slash likes his top hats and how young rockers like their kohl eyeliners; Splinter likes to wear his tail.  I mean, if Hello Kitty can wear gloves and thigh-high boots all the time and Korean boy bands can wear make-up I don’t see why Splinter can’t have his tail. Splinter, or Master Splinter as the boys like to call him, is an ex-rocker who is in a rock band himself. He is now their mentor and pseudo agent.

So TMNT, not turtles ‘kay. They are teenagers with a rather rat-like mentor. Make no mistake about it.


(Note: Admittedly this post came a bit too late, after the whole Hello Kitty fiasco has blown over. But better late than never I say.)

Comments

Popular Posts