Ellie Goulding Concert #2 (13 June 2014)

Reviewed on: 16 June 2014

Not an impressive photo but the closest among the rest.

Well well well. Here I am, back to watch Ellie Goulding perform once more in Singapore. I was there at her first concert at Esplanade last year. This time, my friend (let’s call her E) and I were seated at the bright orange seats of The Star Theatre. I have reasons to believe that its 5,000 seats are almost fully taken (according to The Straits Times 4,500 seats were snapped up). It is a packed house.

I must give a shout-out to Audio-Technica! I won their Ellie Goulding giveaway (a pair of second tier tickets to her concert). The seats were good and we really had a good view of Goulding. A million thanks! Go like their Facebook page!




I suspect that most of the audiences are returning fans who attended last year’s concert as well. There is an electrifying buzz that permeated the air and it seemed as if everyone knew what to expect and were super psyched for what is to come, that is, a head-banging time and an awesome show. While waiting for the concert to start (it started about 40 minutes late), I told E that I hope everyone will be standing for most of the concert. Experience has taught me that most people do not stand for concerts of these sort (even for Goulding’s previous concert), very puzzling considering they are best enjoyed moving and shaking while standing (not seated). But this crowd did not disappoint. When the lights dimmed and the band stepped on stage, everyone stood up in excitement and remained that way till the whole concert ended. The best crowd by far! No encouragement needed.

When Goulding energetically bounded up on stage in printed crop top and loose black trousers, everyone went nuts. She started the ball rolling with “Figure 8”, my favourite from Halcyon Days. Everyone cheered wildly and started singing along. I think I lost most of my voice the first song in, shouting the lyrics and cheering uncontrollably. Goulding gave an impressive performance, her voice never faltering even when she was running around and executing some of the most exhausting aerobics-like moves on stage. Her energy is infectious and she bantered easily with the clearly hyped-up audience.




Her repertoire that night consisted of songs from the extended Halcyon Days, like “Tessellate” and “Goodness Gracious”, with throwbacks to Bright Lights with “Starry Eyed” and “The Writer” among others. There was also an acoustic segment in which her nasally unique voice shone to the wonderful accompaniment of her guitar, especially on “Guns and Horses”. It was also an evocative moment when she crooned her cover of Elton John’s “Your Song” accompanied by the piano (played by her Cockney-accented band mate, Chris). Besides singing songs found on her album, she also belted out “Beating Heart” from the Divergent soundtrack and her sexy cover of “Life Round Here” (minus rapper Angel Haze) by fellow Brit James Blake. It was a surreal moment for me, to be able to hear “Life Round Here” live.


Waving those phones for "Lights".


Two of the most show-stopping moments (in my mind), is when she asked everyone to hold up their phones to light up the darkness while she sang “Lights” and when everyone busted their best dance moves to “I Need Your Love”. Those were moments of pure magic. However, the concert ended all too quickly. Fans clamoured for more and Goulding performed “You My Everything” and “Burn” for the encore. It isn’t enough, but everyone went home bearing Goulding’s promise that she will return to Singapore again.


What an amazing crowd <3

Comments

Popular Posts