Baby-G

For some reason, I am busier now and thus have no time to do much writing or espouse nonsense for long posts. But ideas and thoughts kept coming to me and I thought I should post them when I have the time. It never happened and the ideas and thoughts have dissipated. So instead of waiting for the time to come when I can write long posts again, I decided to just whip out my phone or tablet and do quick posts. Just to keep my thoughts flowing and my writing alive.

I was on the bus home the other day and was doing a little window shopping online when I came across this seller selling Baby-G watches at a lower price. I was tempted. As I scrolled through the choices I remembered how coveted Baby-Gs once were.

It was during my secondary school days that the watches first came into being. Everyone clamored for these brightly coloured Japanese watches with rubber straps. It was the rage then. Those who owned one carried themselves a little more confidently. It was a status symbol. It looked rugged and imbued wearers with a certain cool edginess. It also has a hefty (in my eyes) price tag to match.

When I was young, I yearned for one. But I don't have the means to buy one. What I got, however, is a knockoff that my father purchased. It was much more affordable but no less valuable in my eyes. It had a similar design, except it had a nylon velcro strap instead of rubber. I love it and thought it more individualistic and special as compared to all the Baby-Gs out there.

I wore it till... well, it wore out. The nylon strap stank from my perspiration and the watch ceased to function.

It served me well even though it was a knockoff. If there is anything to be learnt, it is that sometimes the cheaper no-name products may work better for you.

It wasn't until a few years ago that I purchased a black Baby-G as a birthday gift for myself. Owning it now, years after the rage has all but gone (it is still popular now but not as popular as when it first came out), steeped my Baby-G with a nostalgic quality.

Comments

Popular Posts