Thoughts on… the best part of my day

The best part of my day is in the MORNING.


There I said it.

Yes, in order to facilitate the enjoyment of my favourite part of the day, I am required by physical and mental law to ‘sleep early’. I am not sure why, but many of my peers shudder at the act of ‘sleeping early’. They even balk at the thought of it.

I am not a nocturnal person, neither am I a morning person. But I like the mornings. That is why to enjoy my mornings better, I have to sleep early. That ensures that my mornings proceed without hiccups i.e., me tumbling from the wrong side of the bed only to find that it is 11am and I have already wasted THREE hours of the best part of my day only to have to survive the other 12 hours in misery.

There is a stigma attached to people who sleep early. By sleeping early, I don’t mean sleeping at 8pm, or even 9pm. I’m talking about hitting the sack at 11pm. Technically, that isn’t considered ‘early’ since you’re about one hour to midnight. But the trendy time to hit the sack nowadays is 1 or 2am. And people wonder why they don’t have enough sleep. Please, even I feel that I don’t get enough rest, and I sleep at 11pm during the weekdays. I was once laughed at by my friends for sleeping at 11am. It screams “NO LIFE!” to them and it is a shock to their system that they actually know someone who sleeps ‘early’. Well, let bygones be bygones.

Now, I am not saying that I sleep at 11pm every single night. During the weekends I do get weirdly active at night and abhor the idea of sleeping early. That would mean foregoing an enjoyable weekend morning the following day. It is a self-contradictory thing where I go against myself. Self-sabotage more like. Sometimes I do get sucked into the ‘trend’ of sleeping past 12am, playing games, surfing the web, watching a show, just being plain rebellious by refusing sleep. After all, those who follow the ‘trend’ follow the motto, “SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK”.

I could not agree less. I do believe that “SLEEP IS FOR THE HEALTHY” and isn’t it? There have been studies done to show that sleeping early promotes good physical and mental health (go Google it). The benefits are endless. It has something to do with your body going into self-repairing mode at a certain hour, reportedly 11pm. If you are not asleep by then, your body does not repair and you do not get the benefits. Lala lalala laaaa. Who is the weak one now? Yes, go on, stare at that healthily pink tongue sticking out of my mouth now. It’s directed at you “SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK” follower.

No, that is not the only reason why I keep to my 11pm bedtime. I have, what do you say, a lifeless lethargic laidback character. For a large part of the workday I am just a shell drifting around the office running on empty. I do not have a body full of juice that lasts and lasts and lasts. Honestly, I think I begin my day half-empty, and juice runs out fast. My so-called energy lasts a total of two hours max; four hours with caffeine in my system. By the time work ends, I drift out of office mechanically with only one destination in mind, home. It is a miracle I am able to even attend night classes and absorb anything at all.

I like the mornings for a few simple reasons, probably for the same few reasons why nocturnal creatures love the night. Oh, by the way, my mornings would preferably start at 8am. I try try try very hard to get up at 8am during the weekends. That is because I feel that the weekends are for me to catch up on sleep, and I’m ingrained with the idea that one should sleep-in on weekends. I wake up at 7am on weekdays for work. Hence, waking up at 8am on the weekends seems such a waste of sleeping luxury. I like the mornings because the air is cool and fresh, not warm yet, not crammed with humidity. The room is still cool and the pale yellow sunrays have barely warmed the air inside. It will be relatively peaceful, only the early birds and health fiends will be out and about. I can take my time to enjoy the morning and to plan the rest of the day. The important thing is that I can take my time with breakfast, which is also my favourite meal of the day (a coincidence, probably, who doesn’t like eggs and bacon, or pancakes?).

Anyhow, a perfect morning would begin with me climbing out of bed at 8am. By 8:30am I would have already washed up and be seated at the breakfast table, sipping a cup of hot tea with milk and sugar, my reading material of choice (newspaper/book/magazine) in hand. If I’m industrious enough I will whip up a semi-decent breakfast, or else it would just be tea (I’m a lazy sod). It would take me about an hour to finish my tea, so by 9:30am I would move onto the couch to continue reading. This second phase of reading will take about two hours, and then it would be lunchtime, which would be eaten at home or outside with family/friends. Then it is free and easy from then on, to stay out, do housework, catch an afternoon nap (sleep is important), catch a television programme, do my assignments, etc.

However, I always fail in my mission to wake at 8am during the weekends, so I miss that little R&R in the morning and launch straight into the rest of the activities, some of which I do not really enjoy (e.g. housework). My weekend mornings are mostly wasted, regrettably, by sleeping and I will wake at lunchtime to hot air, perspiration, and noise pollution.

I hoped to be able to change that pattern and wake early, maybe early enough to squeeze in some exercise. You know, in a bid to keep fit. Yes, that means waking up at 7am in the weekends.

*HORROR*

Comments

Popular Posts