The Singapore Series: BEDOK RESERVOIR PARK

At some point in my life, I took up an interest in jogging. This came about when an ex-colleague of mine told me he was participating in some marathon and asked if I was running too. I stared at him, wondering why in the world he would imagine me running, at a marathon no less. Apparently I look like I run.

So… I was actually flattered *blush* and decided to give jogging a try.

And where better than Bedok Reservoir Park? I could jog right after work. For some reason, I had imagined Bedok Reservoir Park to be a peaceful quiet oasis in the evening. Just me working the dirt path, birds chirping and insects buzzing. Boy was I wrong. Fellow jogging enthusiasts, cyclists, dragon-boating club members from the nearby polytechnic, wake boarders, fishing buffs, couples and people who use the fitness corners. These are just the main population of Bedok Reservoir Park users. Then you have the hyperactive kids running around, mothers pushing their teeny wunderkinds in strollers, workers sitting at the benches yakking on the phone, students from the nearby polytechnic having a smoke and many other random park users. Bedok Reservoir Park is just abuzz with people and activities!





You have a choice to run/walk/cycle along two different paths circling Bedok Reservoir Park. The outer path is a smooth gravel road and the inner one is a sandy dirt track that kicks up a dust (and dirt into your shoes) every step you take. Personally I prefer running on the dirt track because it circles just around the reservoir, so I get a water view (psychologically it refreshes and motivates me). However, it is not as comfortable or as easy running on a dirt track with slippery fluid stones and sand threatening to dislocate or sprain your ankles with every step. But I really do enjoy the view and sometimes I am treated with the sight of wake boarders doing their thing. However, it is less shaded so you get more sun. In addition, the sun reflecting off the water blinds you (temporarily). The outer path makes for a more comfortable running path. It is smoother (think road-like) and lined with trees, so it is three-times shadier than the inner path. However, for every plus point there is a huge drawback. The path runs into one too many slopes so you will be encountering a few up-hill climbs. Tough. Another drawback is that the outer path is near roads with heavy traffic, so you will definitely smell exhaust fumes, not my kind of thing when I am gasping for breath.





Bedok Reservoir Park is pretty, especially during the evening. On a good day the setting sun cloaks it in a golden hue and the water sparkles and dazzles. Near the fitness corners, stands a piece of the Berlin wall, which was on loan from Robert A. Hefner III, an American oil industry veteran, and his wife. From the research I did for this post, the wall will be returned to the couple by the end of this year (news article). So if you have the time, do pay a visit to Bedok Reservoir Park to catch a glimpse of the wall before it leaves.

In the vicinity of the wall is Wawawa, a restaurant/café that serves German food. I have dined there once, many moons ago, but it was not very memorable because I could not recall what I ate or if it is any good. I never went back there either. Besides, it is not affordable as a neighbourhood dining option. You dine alfresco so bring an insect repellant for a comfortable meal.  You can visit their official website here (Wawawa).

While jogging/walking along the inner dirt track, you may spot some rope contraptions and wooden platforms built on some of the trees. If you are lucky, you may spot a human being or two doing the ‘flying fox’ and gliding across the dirt track to land into a box of sand. These interesting sights are provided courtesy of the Forest Adventure Trail. It is a treetop obstacle course. I have participated in the trail before and came out of it exhausted and weak as jelly. It was scary. On ground, the trees looked tiny and short, but once you’re up there, the perspective made a 180 turn. I never knew I was afraid of heights until I went up the first tree. When you’re up there, the ground seemed so much farther away and a trip to the hospital seemed almost inevitable. I almost backed (blacked) out. But if you follow all instructions, you will be safe. Keep calm and keep moving. There are safety nets around some of the obstacles and you will always be hooked onto a safety harness (that is if you hooked it on properly). Some obstacles have different difficulty levels. If you are like me, who almost passed out at the beginning, feel free to choose the easier routes. No shame. And I promise not to judge. The trail can take about an hour to complete, depending on the difficulty level you choose at some obstacles. I am glad I held my bladder in and completed the whole trail. There is an absolute sense of achievement and joy at having conquered it. Visit their website (Forest Adventure).



Bedok Reservoir Park is a wonderful place to spend your evenings in. If you live around the area, you are blessed with a good space for a run or a leisure stroll. Yes, Bedok Reservoir Park may have its reputation dented with the spate of drowning incidents recently. Nevertheless, looking at the traffic and the number of people still using the park today, that is old news.

For directions on how to get here, visit the NParks website: NParks Bedok Reservoir Park

Comments

Popular Posts