The Singapore Series


About "The Singapore Series"

I came across an article about travel writing that was featured on the website Thought Catalog (I subscribe to their Twitter account). The first rule about travel writing that the author gave was to write about what you are familiar with, which is, in terms of travel writing, the place that you live in. That resonated with me because really, what I gleamed from spending some time at a foreign place only scratches the surface. It is insufficient. And the reasoning is sound. Would you write about a hobby that you know nothing about? I wouldn’t write about fly fishing simply for the fact that I have never done it before. Even if I have done it once or twice, I would still think that I am unqualified to write about it (but writing about my experience with fly fishing is a whole different thing). So when I wrote the “South Korea Voyage”, I tried to keep the style personal as it is based on my own personal experiences and observations during the short 10 days I spent there.

So, where am I familiar with?

My own backyard of course! Alright alright, admittedly my backyard used to be a real backyard that has curry leaves growing out of it somewhere across the Straits of Malacca, instead of the ‘backyard’ I have now (a leg-breaking drop from the kitchen window of a HDB apartment). But really, I should think that I know Singapore quite well, having lived here for about twenty or so years. In a sense, this will also be a test of how well I know the country that I now call home.

And why not? I am sure Singapore is as interesting and as beautiful a place as, let’s say, Greece or any other country in Europe.

So in “The Singapore Series”, I will write about observations made about Singapore; the places, the food, the eateries, the people and what-have-you. I will also try to include photos with my texts because, a pictures speaks a thousand words (clichéd, I know) and I want to show-off the beautiful sights that Singapore can offer.

I will update the series as and when; whenever I visit an interesting place or noticed anything quirky or tried something new. Don’t expect updates on a daily basis because I have a day job which prevents me from running around the island as and when I like.

As usual, you are welcome to leave any feedbacks or recommend any places that I should visit or anything new that I should try. 

I hope you will enjoy what is to come :) 



Comments

Popular Posts